CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SCUBA

Bastimentos is beautiful. We´ve had some rainy days, but it usually doesn´t last more than a few hours. I´ve made it out to the beach a few more times and even decided to become a certified SCUBA diver. I had a trial run on Saturday and decided to certify immediately after. I loved it. Although the visibility was poor (according to my instructor, Ingvil), we still were able to see some beautiful coral and several brightly colored fish. One of my favorites was the trumpetfish...

(not my photo)

Tomorrow, I begin my confined water dive. And, near the end of the week I am diving with Ingvil to see a boat wreck.

Spanish is going well. Me gusta mucho hablar español, y despacio yo aprendo español. One of the employees of the hostel I am staying at, has decided to only speak to me in Spanish. It is helpful to have the practice in the evenings. Fortunately, my evenings are filled with other things in addition to studying. I have made some great friends down here. Two days ago, I met three park rangers from Southern Utah (finally someone who can hook me up). Although my days were busy, I spent the evenings with them, playing cards, walking along the sidewalk of Bastimentos and watching the local teenagers prepare for an upcoming festival, by dressing up as devils and chasing eachother around with wips. Unfortunately this was the end of their trip and they´ve left to return home to the states.

Tragically, my favorite friend also left today. He is a 60 year old man from Quebec who, for the last 30 years has taken off 5 months during the winter to travel. I am excited for him to continue his adventures in Nicaragua.

Even though I have met so many people, I can´t wait to meet up with Sasha in Guatemala. 2 more weeks :)

5 comments:

Seth Hamel said...

sasha is equally excited..

Amy said...

Sounds like you are meeting a lot of other people out galavanting the world...how fun!

Trisha said...

Scuba diving? So fun!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on Scuba certification! Happy to hear you are well and having a great adventure!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your photos.