CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Panama is closed

For nearly the last week, Boca del Toro and northern Panama has experienced a constant torrential down pour. In this time, I have studied, surfed, played dominos with my new friends, and remained soaking wet. I thought it was all fun, until I realized that Panama is closed. According the locals the border is under a meter of water. I´m trapped in on an Island. I sort of feel like Kate on Lost, except I still have to shave my legs.

So being trapped, no big deal right? Right. Well, the crisis came yesterday when I realized that it the border will still be under water on Sunday...the day I need to head to Costa Rica to catch a flight to Guatemala. Lucky for me, there is a small airport on the island with 3 flights to Costa Rica a week.

Right outside my hostel...my shoes are never dry


Right outside my school, when it is pouring rain. The school has discovered it now has a new lake in the front of the property


I suppose I am not really ¨trapped.¨ But, it makes for a good story

Two nights ago, was a totally different story...I was trapped. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sheets of rain falling the metal roof next door. I decided to document the moment. I stepped outside my room, with my camera, into the open air hallway (it was covered fortunately). Just then, a gust of wind came and blew my door shut. Sure enough, I hadn´t unlocked it before I left my room. Locked out. I tried timidly, and then not so timidly to awaken the owner of the hostel.


It was hopeless. I thought I might go for a walk, before I remembered that the outside gate was locked at night and my key was in my room. I curled up on a wooden bench and tossed and turned for the rest of the night. What else could I do at 3 in the morning?


pretty funny!

0 comments: