CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

¿What is wrong with my face?

For the last few days I have been having some funky face stuff. I noticed on Thursday that part of my tongue was numb. I attributed it to having licked some DEET mosquito spray off my lips. Yummy! Then, I noticed on Friday that my right lower lip looked swollen or something. I assumed it was because I had some reaction to a fruit I had eaten. Although my taste buds love all fruit, my lips are a bit more picky. On Sunday, I felt like my left eye wasn´t as open as my right eye. I again thought, it was nothing. Finally on Monday, I noticed that now my top upper lip was swollen as well. Near the end of my Spanish class, I took a bathroom break to check myself out in the mirror and realized, that I had a weakness on the right side of my face...referred to by medical professionals as a facial palsy. I refer to it as freakish looking. I left class early and went to call my brother, who is a neurologist. I kept thinking on the way, I hope this doesn´t get worse or last forever.

When I sat down, I finally started to cry. What was wrong with me?? Mik was just getting off work, and was great at helping me calm down. I described my symptoms, he consulted with some other neurologists and then recommended a treatment. Warning me that if I had any other symptoms, I should call him. I suppose meningitis worse than a asymetrical face (or an assymetrical face).



RIGHT SIDE
LEFT SIDE























CENTER

It is kind of hard to tell the difference between the sides of my face. But trust me, if stare at these photos long enough, and go a little cross eyed, you can see it.


Since everything is over the counter here, I got the medicines I needed and am on my way to recovery. As soon as I can, I´ll post some photos. The palsy isn´t super noticable, but pretty awesome nonetheless!

I am off to attempt surfing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kir, I've heard of having a stiff upper lip. Hope that the over the counter "medicine" is doing the job. Wish I were there to administer some TLC (and to enjoy some warm, sunny beach days).

Love you lots,
Freezing in Orlando

Seth Hamel said...

get better sideways face

Trisha said...

Wish I could be there to witness this freakish thing myself! Love you!