CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 2, 2009

Semuc Champey

This weekend, I took a break from San Andres. Sasha wasn´t keen on spending a lot of time in a car, so she opted not to go. Instead, I went with my friend from school, Todd. Had I known that out of 40 hours, half were spent in the car, I don´t know that I would have been keen on it either. I had heard the ride was 12, not 20...a little different.

The ride there was traumatizing. Tons of curves, hills, and bumps. Some of the locals were laughing at me as I braced for the turns and bumps at the end of the trip.

Although the ride wasn´t fun, it was beautiful. Gee wiz, I hated that road

Although I didn´t love the ride, the destination was amazing. Semuc Champey is a natural land bridge with bright blue-green pools on the bridge. Compredes?


We hiked up to a view of the pools. This is a photo of the hike. We read that it was going to take us 1h15min. It was hard, but it only took us 12 minutes.


The view from the lookout










Where the water rushes underground



The pools









Where the river comes out.


The pools were beautiful. Todd and I arrived early in the morning before anyone else was there. We explored the area and swam in the crystal clear water. It was breathtaking.

After exploring the pools we took a tour of a nearby cave. I didn´t bring my camera because it is not waterproof, and we had to swim through the majority of the cave. In the cave we didn´t have headlamps...just candles. Swimming through a pitch black cave with only a candle was definitely an experience.

The tour was amazing, and even more fun because it was just the three of us. He helped us with our Spanish and we helped him with his English...

I love it here!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm with you on hatting long car rides over scary roads, but dang that looks absolutely breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!